fan activity during suspend

Hi

I'm running Debian unstable on a Thinkpad R30 and everything works
(mostly) to my satisfaction with two exceptions: the suspend and standby
mode. Going into both modes work just fine, as does coming out of
them. The annoying thing is that the fan starts working at full speed
after about 30 minutes of inactivity. I don't think this is normal
behavior for this laptop. I'm currently running the 2.4.18 kernel, but I've
experienced the problem under different kernels as well.
So, am I the only one that has experienced this? How about other R30
users? Does anybody have any idea what could cause this problem?

Thanks,

Janne