Re: Updating Kernel

On Sat Dec  7 22:16:22 2002, Keefe Roedersheimer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>     I am a newbie to Linux and Debian and I am trying to do a relatively
> simple task. I am running woody with the bf24 option to get the 2.4.18
> kernel. I need to update the kernel to 2.5.50 so that I can use some ACPI
> features (particularly I need to access this script
> http://gpsdrive.kraftvoll.at/speedstep.shtml) but everytime I compile the
> new kernel it fails.

The 2.5.xx kernels are development versions so you shouldn't be
surprised when they don't compile.  I'm usually more surprised (and
suspicious) when they do compile without problems.

> I compiled the 2.4.18 kernel with no problems several times.

2.4.xx is the stable version.  It's supposed to compile.

> I downloaded the source for 2.5.50 from kernel.org and attempted to
> build the kernel both in the debian and standard manner after using
> menuconfig (which worked fine). Several different versions of attempting the
> compile made it fail in different ways, no rules for a certain .o file at
> first and no several unknown references. Any ideas?

What you are supposed to do is try to compile, find out why it doesn't,
fix it, and post your patch to the kernel development list.  Most people
just stick to the stable releases instead.

> I also attempted to download the 2.5.50 patch and install it but I could not
> even get any files patched, using the zcat syntax that I found online I have
> not been able to figure out exactly how to do this.

The 2.5.50 patch must be applied to the 2.5.49 source.  When you do that
it will give you exactly what you got in the 2.5.50 source archive.
The patch is there to save download time for people who already have
2.5.49 (or any random previous version).

> Do I need to get ahold of some newer versions of certain programs to
> do this upgrade properly?

No.  The programs you have in your regular Debian dist are good enough.
Avoid kernel 2.5.xx and wait for 2.6.

Have fun!

--
Marty