Re: Debian on laptop as gateway

On Sunday 08 December 2002 18:32, bong sabolboro wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm installing Debian Woody 2.2 kernel on an old
> Toshiba laptop and plan to use this as a home gateway.
>
> After recompiling a new 2.2.20 kernel, I noticed that
> /lib/modules/2.2.20 does not contain the directory
> pcmcia under it unlike the original
> /lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci.  I tried copying the whole
> directory to the new one but the new kernel does not
> seem to accept it even though they are both based on
> 2.2.20.

Why are you using 2.2?  The netfilter code in 2.4 is so much better and nicer
to use/customize.

Personally I find the pcmcia modules still work better than the in kernel
sources for the hardware I own.

# apt-get install kernel-package pcmcia-source kernel-source-2.4.20
# cd /usr/src
# tar jxvf kernel-source-2.4.20.tar.bz2
# tar zxvf pcmcia-modules-....
# cd kernel-source-2.4.20
# make menuconfig
# make-kpkg --revision=5:toshiba.1 kernel_image
# make-kpkg modules_image
# cd ..

and you will have a kernel .deb and a pcmcia-modules .deb.  Easy as can be.

BTW, I highly recommend maradns as a small, secure, and functional enough dns
server.  I use an old compaq pentium 200 laptop as a gateway/firewall.  Mara
does internal dns and acts as a dns cache for my outside world access as
well. All of this on a 32mb laptop with ease.