Re: functionality of ACPI

How well does Linux ACPI compare to power savings under windows. This is
a new laptop with P4 mobile, ATI 7500, WiFI. Are there sleep/suspend
whatever modes. Power down HDs? Clock changes in CPU and Video? Suspend
cards? How does battery life compare between Win and Lin?

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance of ACPI, is this a replacement for APM?  For
the record, I use an IBM Thinkpad 560E with debian and Redhat, and
all my power management is handled 100.00% on LINUX.  I have some
problems on Windows though, I have to move my mouse around, or click
some keys, and the system takes quite a while to "come back to life".

I'm hoping ACPI is indeed a replacement, as after the 2.4+ kernel,
my "APMD" daemon racks up CPU. and confuses several pre-2.4 system
monitors.

For the record though, my opinion, if it works on WIN, it works a
hell of a lot better on LIN...

_John_