Building a boot floppy

Greetings-

I'm working on dual-booting a Sony Vaio laptop.  I'd like to boot to
linux, use parted to create some space on the disk, and move from there.

The problem is that the floppy on this thing is USB, and the parted boot
disk's kernel doesn't support USB. So I'm trying to build a kernel that
will fit on a floppy disk and support USB and IDE.

I think I've got such a kernel, but I don't know how to replace the
current kernel on the floppy disk.  Can someone help with this? I've tried
make bzImage, and I get ./arch/i386/boot/bzImage but I don't know what to
do with it.  Can I simply cp it to the floppy's ./kernel and try it out?

Any help appreciated.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu