problems switching from stand-alone PCMCIA drivers to kernel drivers

On a new woody laptop install I used the bf-2.4 stock kernel, the
pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4 binary package, and the pcmcia-cs package and got
the PCMCIA network card working perfectly.  Had to manually edit
/etc/network/interfaces.

Then I compiled a custom 2.4.18 kernel with built-in PCMCIA support (on my
desktop computer, then transfered the make-kpkg deb to the laptop via floppy
because the laptop is a much slower P120.)  I'll attach the relevant sections
of the kernel .config file below.

Simply booting the new kernel gave errors that the stand-alone pcmcia modules
either weren't found or couldn't be inserted, and finally a message like "no
device pcmcia in /proc"  OK, the modules needing to be loaded are different
now.  As the PCMCIA-HOWTO recommends, I changed in /etc/default/pcmcia
"PCIC=yenta_socket".  Now, I get the following errors at boot time and I am
stumped.

/lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia/yenta_socket.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters

Here are the potentially relevant sections of my kernel .config:

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_NET=y