Re: [kernel 2.4.19] X hangs when logging out on Dell laptop

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:36:28PM +0100, Preben Randhol wrote:
> Hi
>
> I upgraded from 2.4.17 to 2.4.19, and it works except for that when I
> log out from Gnome the kernel cannot manage to restart the X server. It
> looks to be a problem with the i810 chip support. I have tried different
> compile combinations, but none seem to help.
>
> Have other also experienced this? Is there a solution?
>
> I have a Dell 2500 Inspiron running Debian 3.0

i just spent 2 days getting everything working on a inspiron 2600.
try installing xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk as described here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian

the only thing that i haven't been able to get working is the scroll
wheel on a usb mouse, and suspend to disk.  if anyone has any tips, let
me know.

good luck,
xn