Re: Thinkpad 770ED, Debian Sarge, new XFree 4.2.1

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:16:51PM -0800, Fedor Karpelevitch wrote:
> To the original poster:
>
> I wonder if the videocard you have is a trident. If it is then I had the
> same problem as yo, but on a desktop. I had this problem with some earlier
> versions of xfree (probably 4.0) and then it went away in 4.1, but is back
> in 4.2; all you have to do is to download .deb from here:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/xserver-xfree86.html
>
> then do 'dpkg -i xserver-xfree86.....deb' and then put package
> xserver-xfree86 on hold so it does not get upgraded again. That's all.

If you haev a deb source (list in /etc/apt/sources.list) pointing at
that one only, you should be able to do it and its companion parts with

	apt-get --force-reinstall install xserver-xfree86 xlibs

(I suspect some of the others in that "kit" may be okay, but you may
have to reinstall the apps from the same version number.  Luckily they
are pretty much next to each other in an aptitude listing, or will
express their complaints to a commandline apt-get.)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078