e100 and hotplug on Thinkpad T23

I have a Thinkpad T23 with Intel Pro/100 VE built in.
Debian Unstable installed on my T23
I have compiled and installed the e100 driver from intel.

The driver documentation states that it can support hotplugging.

and indeed, it does. If I remove the ethernet cable while the machine is
on, I see a message in /var/log/syslog:
eth0: ... Link is Down.....
and when I put the cable back in I see:
eth0: ... Link is Up ....

... means I don't remember the exact text, but the important words are
Link Up & Link Down.

Also, I have installed the hotplug .deb.

In /etc/hotplug/net.agent file there are appropriate entries for ifup &
ifdown.
# cat /etc/sys/kernel/hotplug shows '/sbin/hotplug'.

BUT, removing & inserting the cable, does not have the desired effect of
running ifup & ifdown on eth0.

What is missing?

Any help is apreciated.