Now OT, Was Re: Thinkpad 770ED, Debian Sarge, new XFree 4.2.1

Bummer. Perhaps I should subscribe to one of the X-specific lists and
bug them. I was lurking on one or two of them for a while, but I would
get buried in posts. Would anyone suggest the debian-x list, or the real
xfree86 list (anyone have an address handy for that)?

On the positive side, with all of this poking around, I have managed to
get my docked configuration (fixed my mouse problem by plugging my USB
mouse into a different port on the docking station). So, when I'm
docked, things are hunky-dory, if not transportable.

But, I've got follow-on questions (nothing like a newbie to be a pest):

1. How can I tell if I'm using all of the accleration that is possible?
2. Is there some benchmarking application that I can use?
3. If I splurge and get a ATI 7500 PCI card, am I going to see any
improvement? I intend to get a large LCD display sometime in the next
six months. What new issues can I expect with that?

I found glxgears, and tried that  but I get the same value from my fancy
3DFX Voodoo card as I do from my laptop (both bounce between 40 and 50
FPS). It's not impossible that the two cards are roughly equivalent, but
it seems fairly low on a probability scale. What kind of values should I
expect on what was once (in 1998) a fairly snazzy 366 MHz laptop?

tia,
-d