Thinkpad T23 & XFree86 4.2

I have Thinkpad T23 with SuperSavage/IXC display adaptor.

I have installed Debian Unstable on this laptop.
Everything works fine.

I have one problem though.

The graphics card supports 1600x1200 resolution for monitors and
1400x1050 for the LCD. On LCD X works fine.
When the machine is docked, and I switch the display using the Fn+F7 key
combination, no matter what is in my XF86Config-4 file for the HorizSync
and VertSync settings, the monitor always uses 60Hz refresh rate. For a
20" monitor 60Hz refresh rate is horrible, it makes me sick after
sometime.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible like in Windows 2000, to use two different resolutions
for monitor(1600x1200) & LCD(1400x1050), and switching between them
without restarting X?

2. If that is not possible, I can live with 1400x1050 or even 1280x1024
on both displays, if the monitor can use atleast 75Hz refresh rate. Has
any thinkpad user had expeience with this?

My monitor is: NEC MultiSync FP1355 with
Horizontal Sync: 30-121 kHz
Vertical Sync:   50-160 Hz

I am using the savage driver that comes with XF 4.2.

There is a driver available for XF 4.1 from S3 graphics, but it won't
work with XF 4.2, there is some symbol conflict.

Any help is apreciated