Re: Which laptop!!!

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:12:56PM +0100, I?aki Mart?nez wrote:
> Hi!!!
>
>  I want to buy a laptop and i do not know which......
>
>  What i want to do (with Debian):
>
>   * Read emails with mutt
>   * Program C and/or C++ applications with SDL
>     If possible using anjuta if not any text editor
>   * Test SDL applications (with or whithout X)
>     using SVGAlib or Framebuffer or any else.

In short anything whose textmode is acceptable and whose VESA
performs correctly would be sufficient.

>  Requirements (in order of importance):
>
>   * Weight (as less as possible)

IBM has some rather light models.

>   * RAM 256 (128 Minimum)
>   * Video if posible **NOT** SHARED memory

Avoid anything claiming the i810 or 1815 chipset.  If you have the
chance to go to a store and shop around the (probably running MSwin)
models, look in their control panel for what video chip they are
using.

People have had a lot of fuss getting Trident Cyberblades going, so
I'd avoid that one too.  Savage used to be a headache but seems to have
settled down.

>   * Linux well supported, PCMCIA, NET, so on.

Once the PCMCIA bus is acceptable it's just a matter of getting the
right card.

To your advantage IBM is "on the bandwagon" and their laptops probably
work ok in that regard.

>   * I can buy in Europe if possible in Spain
>
>  I have seen this models...
>
>  Sony Vaio PictureBook

Aaargh.  Please avoid Sony.  4 of my friends have had various models
and they are all a pain to configure neatly;  once configured, all the
lightweight ones are flimsy and need either great care or occasional
repairs.  One really kicked himself for getting another Sony as an
upgrade, and plans to never go back.

In addition Sony is on record as Linux-hostile.

>  Fujitsu P2000 Series

I've always liked the characteristics on their Lifebook series.

>  Asus M2000 Series

I've had my hands on older ASUS systems and found them enjoyable.

>  and several others....

Check out Kenneth Harker's list at http://www.linux-laptop.net (note
singular, or you'll end up in some opportunistic store that bought
the name-next-door)  and Werner Hauser's list at www.mobilix.org.
For that matter you might be able to buy a preconfig from Werner;
he's at least in Europe.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078