How to manager different network environments?

   Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:42:04 -0000
   From: "Craig Genner" <craig@gennerfam.freeserve.co.uk>

   I'm going to be in a similar situation soon where I will be swapping network
   locations but I will be using an inbuilt network device, not a pcmcia card.
   How would I also get to autodetect when the network cable has been plugged
   in and then start the network services, and stop the same services when it
   is unplugged.
   With pcmcia you just look for the card but it would be harder with a network
   cable

You will need one of the packages that does link-beat detection.  I
know that ifplugd and laptop-net do this, I'm not sure whether there
are others.