Re: laptop USB printing

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:49:11AM -0800, Paul Phillips wrote:

> I have created the /dev/usb devices as indicated in the docs:
>
> root@apollo:/dev/usb# ls -l
> total 0
> crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   0 Oct 24 21:22 lp0
> crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   1 Oct 24 21:25 lp1
>
> If I unload the printer driver and reload it, it claims "unused" until I
> cat a file to /dev/usb/lp0 and then it's used, so that appears to be
> working.  And catting a file to /dev/usb/lp1 yields "No such device" so it
> appears to be at lp0 as expected.  But nothing is logged and the printer
> doesn't do anything.  The printer does work under win2k.
>
> Any pointers hugely appreciated!

Don't know if it'll help, but my USB printer runs off /dev/usblp0 not
/dev/usb/lp0.  But its the same device numbers:

$ ls -l /dev/usblp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   0 2001-12-13 14:21 /dev/usblp0

Have you got hotplug installed? (looks like its fine since you get the
printer module loaded).  How is your printcap file setup?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A