Re: GNOME 2 install failure

hi...

----- Original Message -----
From: dongili@supereva.it
Date: 28 Oct 2002 14:43:22 -0000
To: josevtome@cantv.net, debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: GNOME 2 install failure

>>steps in the GNOME.ORG site, but whan some packages are being installed some
>>errors ocurrs... I get an error message that says: Input is not proper UTF-8,
>>indicate encoding !

>the same happens here, during installation of file-roller2. After that, various dependency problems let the whole installation fail.

>I tried to install Gnome2 during the last week so I can't remember the exact problem given from apt. IIRC it was an *omf* file under >/usr/share/omf/ that broked things.

>Has anybody experienced or solved that?

the same here. i did not dig that deep into the matter, but here is
what i found out:

the omf-files try to reference a DTD ... from the net and not from a
local location. while installing there occurs a connection
attempt to www.open-oasis.org. by the time i installed gnome2 on my
machine the web server was completely unavailable. now it says:

Patience .. ca arrive..

well... but if you have the patience you can apt-get -f install until
every tried connection times out and the packages are then
"properly" installed. i also have the vague feeling that gnome2 tries
to connect to the aforementioned server when starting up, so it takes
some time to be ready to use.

anyway, gnome2 hit the official unstable last sunday, so i expect it
to be in testing within 2 weeks. :)

cheers,
 sebastian