Re: How to manager different network environments?

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 12:35, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I am using woody with a Sony Vaio utilizing a WLAN card. Sometimes I
> use my laptop in a LAN which I access via Ethernet and the next day with
> WLAN. On a client side I cannot use dhcp, but have to use a fixed IP. On
> two other sites I use wlan, but with different passwords.
>
>   What can I do to handle this mess?
>
>   One thing I found is that when my WLAN Card is inserted the cardmgr
> issues a ./network start eth1 (my WLAN card), which is nice, but in an
> environment where I use the same IP/Routing etc. via Ethernet (fixed
> line) and WLAN it is not very helpful without shutting down eth0 first.
>
>   How can I change the current behaviour? I'd like to call a shutdown to
> eth0 if eth0 and eth1 are configured in the same way. I don't want to do
> that if they are different.
>
>   When starting up debian it asks me in which network environment I want
> to work. What is that good for? If I could select where I am going to
> connect this time would it solve my problem, but afaik it the mechanism
> will just be able to manage different ip addresses, doesn't it?

This is exactly the sort of mess that 'whereami' is meant to handle,
first through detecting the situation and second through reconfiguring
services to suit that location.

There are a bunch of other tools in Debian as well, but I naturally
recommend my own one :-)

I personally connect regularly to about 10 different LANs - only one of
which is Wireless, most provide DHCP and some require fixed IP
addresses.  Once I have 'whereami' configured for each new location I
simply open the lid on my laptop and it all 'just works'.

Regards,
						Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for free with http://survey.net.nz/