Re: XF4.1 on ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Oleg wrote:
> > It also works with XFree 4.1 which I used before 4.2. I have an IBM A31
> > with the same gfx-chip. I can offer a working XF86Config-4 for both
> > versions.
>
> Bjoern, thanks for both files! (BTW, they are identical). I have a few
> questions:
>
> - Are you sure your chip is the same as mine? In your config files, BoardName
> says "Radeon Mobility M7 LW". OTOH, when I do lspci -v, it gives "6" instead
> of "7".

Actually, I'm sure it's not the _same_ but a very similar one. I also have
this 32mb and the same X resolution as you. But you're right, my one is
the M7 and you now told me you have the M6. But I don't think this will
really matter. The Boardname-string is ifaik only an identifier for XFree
and has nothing to do with the real board name.

> - Did IBM supply you with all monitor characteristics? The tech specs for my
> Fujitsu only say "15'' SXGA+: 1400 x 1050 resolution; 16M colors", and I got
> "1400x1050 @ 60 Hz" from Windows System Information. Basically, I have no
> clue what the vertical and horizontal frequency ranges are.

I was given nothing. The source of the mentioned configuration file (btw
sorry, they are the same) is a SuSE 7.? installation and a little bit of
handworking. Could be more optimized ... right. But I think you can take
the modelines out of my configuration file, it was generated by SaX (a
SuSE tool for configuring X) and it seems to work for quite a while.

and btw, if you find out how to accelerate the whole thing (for games
like tux racer etc) let me know :-)

Bjoern