Re: Combo DVD/CDRW drive

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Luis Mendes wrote:
> Thanks for your reply

That's OK. I actually have a little more specific knowledge on one point
now, too. :)

>> > 2) which interface should I go for? they offer pcmcia 16 bit or 32
>> > bit paralell, usb and firewire.
>>
>> USB 1.1 devices (most laptops) have very slow connections -- you
>> would be lucky to get 4x CD writing working.
>
> They also have a USB 2 interface. Is this faster the USB 1.1 and would
> it be supported in the newest kernels.

Quite. The hard part of USB 2, and also the reason that I didn't mention
it, is that AFAIK there is *no* USB 2 hardware for a laptop available.

None of them come with it built in, I am fairly certain, and I have not
yet seen a PCMCIA form factor card for it...

[...]

>> I would suggest getting the Firewire device, because it's the best
>> supported of them all, but read up on the 1394 support available at
>> <http://linux1394.org/> first.
>
> I had the suspicion this would be the best bet but in this case I
> guess I need a firewire adapter since I don't have a firewire
> connector in my laptop. Any sugestions here on any particular model?

Ah. Every laptop I have owned for the last few years, and all the ones I
remembered, did come with the hardware.

OTOH the current 2.5.44 kernel does not identify my DVD burner
correctly. So, the level of support varies from kernel to kernel.
Similar stuff works stably, though.

>> The 32bit PCMCIA is as good as a PCI card, performance wise, but you
>> need to know if the card in question is supported by Linux PCMCIA
>> first. Make sure you check that.
>
> AMACOM says the 32 bit pcmcia interface is supported. I could not find
> any information on freecom.

Freecom seem to be pretty good, but I have no practical experience with
either.

        Daniel

--
The youth gets together his materials to build a bridge to the moon, or,
perchance, a palace or temple on the earth, and, at length, the middle-aged