Re: 2.4 kernel tweaking

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 04:55:06PM -0400, christophe barbe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got a new laptop (a powerpc) running a recent 2.4 kernel
> (2.4.20-pre9-ben0) and see a lot of HD access when I do nothing.

<short ps output snipped>

> And I still see (and hear) HD access every 20 seconds or so.
> I guess it's bdflush or kjournald that does that. Is there a way to
> change this?
>
> kjournald is there because of ext3. Could it be responsible for that?

ext3 will write to the disk every 5 seconds or so. For me, that is what
prevents the HD from spinning down. Under ext2 the noflushd should work
nicely, but ext3 wants to write to its journal every so often...

It shouldn't result in "a lot" of hd access - might just make the led
flash for a fraction of a second (short enough to make me wonder whether
I imagined it....).

Mounting filesystems with "-o noatime" helps a little bit - but might
cause problems for programs tat rely on atime on files (e.g. mail
notifiers, popularity-contest and the like)

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com