Re: Seeking recommendation for Laptop, must satisfy:

On Monday 07 October 2002 03:29 pm, Walter Tautz wrote:
> built in cdrom and floppy, no stupid docking stations...sony vaio...yikes
> better yet a built in dvd drive....
>
> needs to be able to run vmware so that windows can be run...
>
> lightweight, good sized screen, great resolution,
>
> Probably i386 arch would be the best since I'm not sure VMware
> will work on non i386 arch...
>
> Powersave mode has to work easily in linux.....
>
> It just has to work without a lot of hassles of looking for obscure
> patches..
>
> :-)
>
> price is the least important but it would be nice to not to spend too
> much.... not more than 2000US
>
> Walter

I'm shopping for a laptop that would run Linux perfectly myself. And AFAIK
finding such a laptop is not an easy task. My list of requirements is quite a
bit longer than yours though, e.g. I want the laptop itself to be reliable,
and the tech support to be good. I also wouldn't buy a laptop that does not
have a CDRW/DVD combo drive, has less than 32 MB dedicated Video RAM (nVidia
or ATI), does not have P4M CPU or DDR266 RAM. (This will essentially be my
only computer for a while) If you are on-campus, WiFi is probably a must.

If laptop reliability is important to you too, take a look at this survey:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com can also be useful, but if you see someone
saying "everything works" without backing that up, do NOT believe him.

AFAIK the most reliable, and probably more Linux-compatible than others, are
IBM Thinkpads, but I'm not sure if I could live with a Trackpoint (OTOH
Ultranav's are heavy and very expensive)

Currently, my prime candidate for purchase is Fujitsu Lifebook E-7110, but
I'm still looking into details.

Cheers,
Oleg