high cpu usage when playing mp3's

	Hello everybody ,

I have just finished to install and configure a debian 3.0 which runs on
a toshiba satellite 210C (Pentium 120Mhz ,16Mo RAM and 1Go HD ).I can
use xfree3.3.6 or the 4.1.0 in 800x600 16 bits and my soundcard (chipset
ess668 ) seems to work fine .But when I am playing mp3 in text mode with
mpg321 the cpu usage is more or less 90%  and sometimes the sound is
scratchy .Do you think it is normal or do I have to better configure my
system (I remember my first linux on a pentium 100Mhz and I was playing
mp3 under X without any problem ) .

Thanks to all ,

Julien