using i810 driver for sony vaio graphics card can only get 8bit..a bit grainy

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Frédéric Bothamy wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:11:34PM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> > need to determine the graphics card, I was able to install via the
> > network, it is using an etherpro100 compatible card. However
> > I was hoping to findout what the graphics card is and how
> > to configure X AND what the friggin cdrom is:
>
> [...]
>
> > Subject: lspci from lifetime2
> >
> > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 3575 (rev 04)
>
> According to http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=8086, this is an
> i830 graphic chipset. And according to
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status17.html#17 and
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status17.html#17, it is only supported on
> XFree 4.2, you should then try the experimental XFree 4.2 packages
> from Branden Robinson at http://people.debian.org/~branden/

Ok. Installed it, xserver-xfree86 version 4.2.0 pre1v2 and
apparently the i810 driver provides support for the i830 chipset...
and it has very little memory as it apparently uses the system memory...
at least according to the note during dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Btw, what X resolution should I choose for a labtop... I was able to get
it working with the i810 chipset at 8 bit colour not 24 bit...at 1024x768
Does it even make sense to vertical and horizontal frequencies on lcd screen?

The screen looks a little uneven, especially the kde startup window...

-walter