Kernel modules won't survive standby

Hi there,
I was pointed here after some sort of odyssey. I searched the web, I
asked
around, but noone seems to have noticed this before, and though I'm
using
SuSE linux, I guess this is the next best place to ask, as I don't wont
post directly to the kernel developers list and get told that this is
cold
coffee...
I have an IBM Thinkpad A30p, and Linux ran fine so far. However, after
going to standby and waking it up again, ethernet was down. I tried all
sorts
of things to get it up again, but I couldn't. The same goes for sound
support.
Finally, someone hinted to me that reloading the respective module by
doing a rmmod and an insmod may work, and indeed, it did! As I set up
firewire support, I noticed that when I compiled ethernet and sound
support into the kernel (not as modules), going to standby and waking it
up again was no problem at all anymore: Both ethernet and sound support
continued to work.
I have confirmation of this behaviour with different laptops (omnibook
and
thinkpad) as well as different linux distributions (Red Hat and SuSE),
and
I believe this is a flaw in the kernel itself: It seems to loose track
of
its modules once one sends it to standby and wakes it up again. I read
somewhere that people had similarproblems with PCMCIA cards, and as a
workaround, they inserted some rmmod/insmod routines into scripts that
are
executed when the laptop wakes up again. But I think this should be
fixed
in the kernel. I'm using kernel 2.4.18, but one source experience this
problem with the 2.2 series as well.
So my question is: Is this a known problem? Are the kernel developers
aware
of this or is it already worked on?

Ciao,
Stefan