Re: Problems with external keyboard / PS2 Y-cable

Arne Goetje, 2002-Sep-24 15:24 +0800:
> Hi list,
>
> maybe someone can give me a hint here...
> I have an Acer TravelMate 730 notebook which has only one PS/2 port.
> However, the vendor offers a Y-cable to attach keyboard and mouse
> simultaniously.
> I want to use a KMM switch with my desktop computer at home. So I bought a
> simple PS/2 Y-cable and tried to connect keyboard and mouse to the notebook.
> But it doesn't work. I cannot use keyboard nor mouse on the notebook, just
> the built-in keyboard and touchpad.
> If I plug in only the mouse, it works flawlessly.
> However, if I connect the keyboard instead of the mouse, I get error
> messages from the kernel asking me if the keyboard is present...
> the internal keyboard still works, just the external not.
> I read on the Laptop-Howto that a Y-cable should work... so has anyone
> experience with that?
> Any hints?
>
> Thanx
> Arne

I've used Y-cables on various laptops (Dell and Toshiba) with
success.  I've been told that some Y-cables don't work on certain
laptops, but I haven't seen that yet.  Since your Y-cable is supplied
by the vender it should work.  Perhaps you've got a bad cable.  You
could try buying another Y-cable at your local PC supply store (around
US$9) and try it out.

I've also tried plugging only a keyboard into the PS/2 port on my
laptops and it doesn't work.  However, I haven't tried booting the PC
with the external keyboard plugged in.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer