Re: toshiba 490XCDT

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:22:46 +0200
Benoit Mortier <benoit.mortier@opensides.be> wrote:

BM> Hello,
BM>
BM> Helping a friend to install debian woody on is toshiba 490XCDT but
BM> no luck using xfree 4.1 and s3virge and s3virge/mx complete lockup.
BM>
BM> does somebody know something about this ??

Try the 3.3.6 driver (xf86-svga IIRC). This is the only thing I could
make work for the Tecra 780 which has an s3virge/mx. This was also the
case with SuSE 7.3. Basically the XF86 4.x drivers for the s3virge
series seems to have serious problems for the portable versions.

The other thing I've been meaning to try is to give the refresh rates a
list of fixed frequencies as drawn from the manual rather than the range
from min to max as deduced from the allowed modes list in the manual.

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |