Re: AVM A1

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:54:14PM +0200, Fredo Str?ber wrote:
> Hallo,
> ich hab da ein kleines Problem. Ich bekomme eine Fritz PCMCIA KArte
> nicht unter Debian 3.0 zum laufen . Die Card Servises sagen mir immer
> unsupported Card. ?ber Kernel PCMCIA hab ich diese auch nicht
> eingebunden bekommen.
>
> Au?erdem sagt mir das Sytem immer wenn ich den ipppd Deamon starten will
> .. this system lacks PPP Kernel Support ???
> Was will es mir damit sagen.
>
> F?r Hilfe w?re ich sehr dankbar
>
> Fredo Str?ber
>
> Live long and prosper

I only speak English but here's how I read this...

I've got a problem, I have a Fritz PCMCIA card and debian 3.0's card
services say its unsupported.

And on this system the ipppd daemon will not start, does this kernel
lack PPP support?

	Debian stock kernels do seem to have PPP support, but perhaps
	you are not loading the right modules.  You can try
   modprobe ppp
   	and see if it helps.  If so make modutils set this up more
	permanently.

	For the new card, you have a few choices, any of them are clunky:
	1.  set your /etc/apt/sources.list with a deb-src line so you
	    are getting sources from unstable
   deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib

   cd /usr/src
   	then run
   apt-get -b source kernel-image-(version)
   apt-get -b source pcmcia-cs

	and finally, install the resulting .deb packages -

	or, 2.
	same thing but use kernel-package to prepare the kernel
	yourself

	or, 3.
	use completely upstream stuff.  Get the card services from
  http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/

  	and the kernel sources from kernel.org, plus any patches
	you feel inclined to add.

	Note that you'll have to be careful against the package
	system squishing your setup during upgrades.

	4.
	wait until newer card services packages make it into the
	normal downloads, then upgrade your kernel-image-n.nn.nn
	and pcmcia-cs packages.

	5.
	borrow or buy an older card to use until card services
	catches up.  Perhaps you can get your money returned
	and exchange it, if you just bought it.

Hope that helps

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...