Re: intel pro/100 Cardbus II LAN card

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 00:05:43 -0700
Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 07:31:17PM -1000, Craig Witherspoon wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:46:44 -0700
> > Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> wrote:

> > > I had no luck with the e100, so sent an email to Intel support.  They
> > > replied that the card was supported by the eepro100_cb.o module, which
> > > is included in the pcmcia-source package.  I compiled and can load the
> > > module, but am still not getting the interface bound to eth0:
> > >
> > > #ifconfig eth0 up
> > > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> >
> > Run cardinfo as root from a terminal. It will give you a nice
> > graphical interface to cardctl and some simple diagnostics. You can
> > Insert and Eject the card from there as well as determine which
> > socket the computer thinks that the card is plugged into, etc. You
> > might need to boot the computer with the card installed at first. You
> > can use the up/down arrows in the upper right of the cardinfo panel
> > to search through the sockets and see what is installed.
> >
> > Look in /lib/modules/2.4.18 (whatever)/pcmcia and see if you have a
> > yenta socket module there. If so, rename it or something.
> >
> > If you have a useless winmodem in the way you might find the modem on
> > ttyS24 (I know, it doesn't exist, and you may see messages at boot
> > telling you that it is trying to free non-existant resources...etc.)
> > If you use pppconfig to set up an Internet connection don't bother to
> > let it search for your modem, it won't find it.
> >
> > I have the same card, it works fine in my Sony VAIO running woody.
> >
> > Times have changed, when I was trying to get through the same
> > problems you are having the support people at INTEL told me that the
> > card was not supported in Linux!
> >
> > good luck!
> >
> > Craig
> > >

> It looks like I have a bigger problem, as cardinfo and cardctl indicate
> that no card is recognized.  The problem could be with the Compaq
> Presario 1070 laptop or with the card itself.  I'll borrow another
> laptop to see if the card is recognized (or borrow a different card to
> try in this one).  The card came with my DSL modem and the laptop was
> free, so I don't have much to lose in either case.
>
> There is a winmodem, but it isn't even recognized.  The box originally
> had Win95, but that was wiped out and Win98 had been installed.  There
> were some proprietary things in Compaq's Win95 which were missing at
> that point and I figured that explained why neither the card nor the
> modem were functioning.
>
> I haven't used a Compaq yet where there wasn't a problem of some sort.
> :-(
>
> Bob

I have two old Prosignia desktops that still run with woody on them, a P2 and a P3 both 450 mhz. My wife has a new Compaq laptop. I looked at it, Compaq is so snuggled up to Microsoft that the thing probably won't ever completely function as a *nix box so I'm not even trying. I had two Compaq presario laptops before but I traded them in for Vaios.

I had a lot of difficulty getting my card recognized at first using the software from Sourceforge. I removed it and used the .deb with apt-get and it installed correctly. It is very sensitive about which kernel you install it in of course.

You may be having other problems left over from winderz or the lack of the little Compaq partition full of utilities too. Pioneering through back issues of Compaq equipment can be challenging.

Best of luck!

Craig