Re: Kernel Upgrade Problems - IBM T23

On Thursday 12 September 2002 09:49 pm, Zane Dodson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:18:23AM -0400, Zach Bower wrote:
> <snip>
>
> | It is the built-in Ethernet interface, I believe Intel EtherPro 100 or
> | some variation.  Seems to DHCP fine based off the initial ide-pci
> | minimal install.
> |
> | Which specific config files should I copy when I upgrade my kernel to
> | 2.4.8 and I assume I'll have to recompile the module for 2.4.8 as well?
> |
> | I did try to configure it in interfaces but it seems to not want to dhcp
> | an address so I thought I was missing something.
>
> <snip>
>
> When compiling your own kernel, make sure to set
>   CONFIG_PACKET=y
>   CONFIG_FILTER=y
> in your kernel's .config.  This enables a raw socket that a dhcp
> client needs to open.
>
> See
>   socket (2)  (PF_PACK and SOCK_PACK)
>   packet (7)
>
> See also /usr/share/doc/dhcp-client/README.gz, section 5.1.2 - PROTOCOL
> NOT CONFIGURED.
>
> I think that will get your DHCP working.
>
> Best regards,

Greetings Zach:

Please let us (debian-laptop) know if this latter reply solved the dhcp
problem for you since I am interested in the outcome.

I had a similar experience with a new Woody install on a desktop using DHCP.
I have never solved the failure but did manage to get it fully functional in
a more manual way.

The problem was that I initially used a static IP during install.  Later, I
installed 'dhcpd' on my gateway and changed the desktop box to dhcp but it
would never get an ip.  It had dhcp-client installed, yet it would only work
if I manually invoked it.  Finally I installed pump and removed dhcp-client
and it would work during boot (as I wanted it too).

Tnx Zach.  gl

tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!