Kernel Upgrade Problems - IBM T23

Title: Message
Hi

I've recently acquired a brand new IBM T23 with no operating system on it.  I've been working at getting Debian stabilized as the only OS for this machine.  I have several computers and don't foresee a need for a dual OS machine.

My problem is, I can install from the 4 ide-pci floppies without problem and get X to work.  At this point, I'd like to start installing other modules like pcmcia-cs-3.2.1 to support my Cisco wireless NIC.  In order to do this, I need to recompile the kernel so I opted to upgrade to the latest kernel kernel-source-2.4.18 from the debian site.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something during the make config ( or actually, I used make xconfig), but it seems as though everything compiles fine and I specified to load the network drivers as modules but upon reboot, I can't manage to get my eth0 interface to DHCP an address.  When I configure an IP address on it manually, I can ping local devices so obviously there must be more configuration I need to do when manually specifying an IP.  My question is, why am I unable to use DHCP?  Do I need pump or something like that?  I thought dhcpd would take care of it.

Additionally, I specified support for vfat filesystems but my floppy drive still will not mount after reboot.

Am I just missing some fundamental things here, as I suspect I am?

There's 8 million documents on rebuilding kernels but I've tried a few of them w/ similar results.  Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated.  As you probably can tell by now, I'm no linux guru.  I've installed Redhat several times in the past with no problem but RH is a bit more newbie oriented.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Zach