Re: [OT] : A new Laptop

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 04:01:38PM -0700, Jeff wrote:

First, set your goals.
What do I need, a desktop replacmeent or an ultraportable typewriter? A
gaming machine or a movie-box?

Then, try to figure out how much you can spend.

> > CPU    : AMD or Crusoe ?
Amd for everything else, crusoe for an ultraexpensive typewriter.
Oh, and an AMD also qualifies for personal portable heater.

> > Mem    : 258 Mo or more
You'll never regret more ram. Play it up in price-negotiations, if any...
Otherwise, just add more ram 'till your budget is all finished.

> > HD     : 15 Go or more
> Minimum 20GB, more if you plan to carry a lot of music, video or other
> large sized stuff.
Same as memory. Keep in mind that the price difference between 20 and 40gb
is small. Yet it takes some discipline to keep yourself down to 20,
especially if you want to carry a movie with you... (Hmmz, anyone in europe
wanna sell me a +30Gb or bigger laptop drive?)

> > Screen : 14 inch or more
14 inch. Unless you've got money to blow, 14 inch offers a nice workable
area (should be able to do 1024*768), doesn't weight too much, and doesn't
suck power like hell.
Try to see the actual unit before you purchase it, make it's screen totally
blank, and wander with your eyes arround it for a few minutes. If you spot
dead pixels, go for another one.

> detailed stuff the 15 inch makes a big difference.  The systems with
> 15.7 and 16 inch displays are tanks (very heavy), but those display's
> are way cool!
*nodnod*, but ubercool and detailliated is the only thing they are good at

> > DVD
> Most new systems can come with a DVD/CD-RW combo unit which is
Yup, get a dvd/cdrw combo, unless you're on a very tight budget. Never
underestimate the power of portable cd writing... (too bad I've only got a
dvd)

> > One Lan adaptator
GET IT! and get it onboard!
It saves pcmcia slots, goes screaming fast, and is usually supported without
hassle for all OS's (before debian 3.0, I saved my butt with an onboard one
- don't ask)
It's just too good value to leave it.

> > Graphic : Radeon or ????
> If you plan to use/install woody and stay true to that release, check
> the XFree86 4.1 supported cards and stick to those.
Check it's 3D capabilities and support with you purpose of getting a
laptop... I've got a savage4 with no 3D support, yet it's ok because I never
play games...

> > I would like use all features as multimedia keyboard, .....
Laptop keyboards are usually not really equipped with wistles and bells on
the keyboard, because of real estate problems. Most people get used to
laptop keyboards really quick (I even type better on them...)

One important thing you aparantly forgot: battery life.
You can _never_ ever have enough runtime, I guarantee.
Some laptops come with a second battery bay (usually at the cost of the
diskette station, wich is crap anyway). Hot-swapping batteries is good.
The advertised runtime is usually a pretty empty value. With maximum
powersavings, you can get more than that, but while working or playing on
it, you'll see it drop dramatically.

A couple more hints:
* Get a switching power supply that takes all possible voltages.
* Don't get tempted to an onboard wireless card, unless it's for free. That
area of technology changes too fast for the moment.
* If you've got serial equipement you want to use (palm, gps, ...), make sure
your laptop has a serial port...
* Get extended warranty that also covers your own mistakes. Even if it
increases the cost with 10%.
* Ask to test the thing before you buy, and make it burn some cpucycles
(have a windows version of cpuburn handy) for 15 minutes, then put it on
your lap and see if you can stand the heat.
* It will probably come with windows XP. Don't sign anything, don't boot the
machine, don't break any stickers. In my opinion, if you don't agree to
anything, you're also not bound to the no resale of licenses clauses. :)

That's about all I can think of for the moment, and of course it's all my
personal opinion.

--
  Greetings
  Joris