Re: sid freezes on tecra 8000

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:21:56AM +0300, Amir Tal wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i recently installed sid on my tecra 8000 laptop, and everything is working
> great ;) except for a wierd problem.
> when ever i am connected to the internet (cables) everything works very
> smooth. if i am trying to work offline, the system responds very slowly.
> starting X takes 2-3 (!) minutes, applications inside x (kde) takes forever
> to load, and the general behavior of the system is very slow.
>
> what can be the cause of that ?
> thanks,

it seems like you have your /etc/resolv.conf pointed to DNS servers,
that are only available when you are online. when you're offline, all
DNS requests time-out, but that takes some time. OTOH, i can't imagine
right now, why that would affect X or KDE. it sure affect network
applications (browser, telnet, mail, etc). it might be, your computer
can't resolve its own name/ip pair, when you're offline.

one way to resolve this issue would be to change your /etc/resolv.conf
everytime you up/down your network interface, or change /etc/host.conf
resolving order to hosts,bind and put your computer's name and ip
address into /etc/hosts.

hope this helps,

[e]

>e@hq.sk<                   /(bb|[^b]{2})/                 >http://hq.sk/~euro<
    build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
    to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                                    -- Rich Cook