Re: Why cant I get an internet connection

shaun bokowski, 2002-Aug-19 21:35 -0700:
<snipped a whole bunch of stuff>

> Jeff,
>
> Everything was ok till I got to
>
> $ nslookup -sil www.yahoo.com
>  Server:         216.148.227.68
> Address:        216.148.227.68#53
>
> I do
> user@hostname nslookup -sil www.yahoo.com
>
> bash: nslookup: command not found
>
> I ping both yahoo addresses and no luck.
>
> I am doing everything in # root or $ user as you print . My service provider
> is using or requires PPPoE , no static ip.
>
> What could be it?

To recap:
1. Your eth0 is configured with an IP address
2. You can ping that IP
3. You have a default gateway configured
4. You can ping it
5. You have a DNS configuration (/etc/resolv.conf) ...

When you did "cat /etc/resolv.conf" what did you see?  Your nslookup
command above shows the same DNS server from my example.  You need to
ping the IP addresses you see in your /etc/resolv.conf file, if there
are any.  Unless you are on the same network I am, my DNS servers
won't respond to you.

6. You can ping your DNS server
7. You can get a domain name resolved by your DNS server (nslookup)

Notes:
On the PPPoE thing, are you gererating the PPPoE tunnel from your PC
or from a device between your PC and the internet.  If your provider
supplied a device (e.g. DSL router), then it's likely it is doing the
DHCP/DNS config for your PC.  That's fine, too.

I hope all this is helping.  Once you've gone through this a few times
you'll be an old-pro!  :-)

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer