Re: Xircom CEM56 modem

Neil L. Roeth wrote:
I've been using a Xircom CEM56 Ethernet/modem PCMCIA card for a couple of
years, but only the Ethernet part.  I recently tried to get the modem part
working, and have been unable to do so.

I used minicom, and I see that the modem responds to the ATZ command, and it
dials audibly when I give an ATX1DTnnnnnnn command, but it does not connect to
the other modem.  I hear nothing in response.  Dialing the number manually
does produce a response.  It eventually times out with a NO CARRIER message.
I was able to get it to dial once, by unplugging the Ethernet cable, but never
again, with or without the cable plugged in.  This is under Woody on an
Inspiron 7000, running 2.4.9.  The serial_cs and xirc2ps_cs modules get loaded
when the card is inserted.

Does anyone have any clues?  Any ways to debug it other than minicom?

I have an old Xircom Ethernet/modem PCMCIA card with 33.6 kbps, wich does't connect with the string I'm using for my other modem card, which is "AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0".

But "AT E1 Q0 &C1 &S0" gets a connect ok. I can connect thus to M$ PAP and CHAP modem servers. I found the string on <a href="http://www.suse.de/de/private/support/howto/ppp_nt/PPP_NT_HOWTO_2.html";> Suse PPP_NT_HOWTO_2.html</a>, but am using debian woody unstable 2.4.18 with PCMCIA modules package.
lsmod: pcmcia_core [serial_cs xirc2ps_cs ds i82365] ...

--
Success, Dirk