Re: x configuration

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:59:02PM -0700, damon fasching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed debian on a Presario 721CL.  The

[...]

> I chose advance package selection and then grabbed
> only xfree-86common, xdm and fvwm (above and beyond
> whatever is preselected).  I also selected some of the
> packages that were suggested by xfree-86common.  These
> were fonts and a few other things.  In particular I
> chose the xserver-s3 package.  I have no idea if this
> is correct.  (Where can I find a table of xservers and
> chipsets?)  Tech support at compaq claimed my video
> chipset is via KN133.  The VIA site said about this
> chip "integrated s3 graphics savage4 agp 4x blah blah
> blah", hence I picked xserver-s3.
>
> In the package configuration I chose to manage the X
> server wrapper and the XFree86 3.x server config file
> with debconf.

I have a similar laptop : the 711EA, and I don't think the graphic
chip (ProSavage Via KN133) can work with XFree 3.3.6 (except maybe in
VESA mode). I would strongly recommend that you install XFree 4.1
(packages xserver-common and xserver-xfree86 in stable) and the
configuration with debconf is really easy when you know that you have
to choose the savage driver (not s3).

Fred