Re: Fwd: ide-floppy. LS-120

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:07:13AM -0700, alberto wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm having problems in using regular floppies on my LS-120 drive of a NEC
> Versa SX, a zip-like drive wich is also capable of reading usual 1.44M
> floppies.
>
> This is how the drive gets recognised at boot time:
> # dmesg
>
> hdc: LS-120 SLIM3 00 UHD Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
>
> If I try to load ide-floppy as a module, the kernel message is the following:
> # modprobe ide-floppy
>
> Jul 26 22:09:20 tiburzio kernel: hdc: 1440kB, 2880 blocks, 512 sector size
> Jul 26 22:09:20 tiburzio kernel: hdc: 1440kB, 80/2/18 CHS, 150 kBps, 512
> sector size, 720 rpm

> Jul 26 22:09:21 tiburzio kernel:  hdc: unknown partition table
> Jul 26 22:10:01 tiburzio kernel:  hdc: unknown partition table

From memory, this is because ide-floppy was mainly written with
Zip/Jazz disks in mind. They have partitions. LS-120's and normal
floppies do not. (I could be thinking of the 2.2 kernel though.)

On the plus side, you can partition a floppy disk, but nothing
else'll read it. :-)

> If I try to make a dos filesystem on the floppy,
> # mkdosfs /dev/hdc
> mkdosfs 2.5 (07 Jan 2000)
> mkdosfs: Will not try to make filesystem on '/dev/hdc'

Looks like mkdosfs is hard-wired not to let you do this.
You could make /dev/fd2 a symlink to /dev/hdc. Then stupid
userland (like the above) will treat it like a FDD.

Of course, that might not work. No idea, off hand. :-(

> If I try with an ext2 or  a tarfile, no problem, it'll do it.

> I cannot make any boot floppy, though.
> If I modify 'mkboot' brutally substituting /dev/fd0 with /dev/hdc, then it
> tries to boot but it outputs an infinite series of  01 01 01 01....

On this one, I can't help.

> In the end, how do I convince the kernel that what I have in my /dev/hdc is
> infact a normal floppy disk? Do I have to make a device myself (how??!)
> Do I have to pass on some boot parameters va LILO or via modprobe?

The kernel will let you play with it as a normal floppy disk, it's the
user-land assumptions letting you down. (Except possibly your bootdisk
problem)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.