3com 3C575-TX on Texas Insts. PCI-1420 Cardbus Controller

Good Day,

I'm new to linux, installed Debian 3.0 4 days ago on my HP OmniBook XE3.

The problem is that I installed the kernel-image-2.2.20, pcmcia-cs,
pcmcia-modules-2.2.20 packages and I see the right pc card model number when
I  insert the card but im not sure how to tell if its actually working
(really new to linux) and if its not working how to configure it.

If someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains
networking and how to set one up and troubleshoot, or give any other advice,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks allot,

Ahmed Charles

PS. I resized the windows partition (Rannish Partition Manager) and gave
linux one 3.5G partition and 128M swap, but the 3.5G partition is too big
and id like to make it smaller. Is there a defrag for linux and will it work
the same as it did on the Windows partition?