Re: adding scripts to /etc/init.d ?

From: "Mike Alborn" <malborn@deandra.homeip.net>

> Gale Stafford wrote:
> | I want debian to start pump when it boots up, so that I dont have to
> manually type "pump -i eth0" every time I boot my computer. I read this
> morning that I need to add a script to /etc/init.d for pump. Also I
> understand that I would need to create a link from that script to a file
> in my /etc/rc3.d/ directory, since I boot into run level 3.
>
> AFAIK, you shouldn't have to start pump from an init script.
> /etc/network/interfaces should contain the lines:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> and the Debian networking startup scripts should take care of the rest,
> starting pump as necessary. If you're running a PCMCIA ethernet card,
> then this configuration should be in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts - take a
> look through the PCMCIA-HOWTO at:
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.3

For any pcmcia interface the interface doesn't necessarily exist at init
time, but in any case using the /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts methods guarantees that dhcp runs whenever eth0
goes up, not just when the system boots.

btw, I'm told pump isn't very reliable.  I use dhclient now.

derek