printing setup

Can anyone advise on the best/easiest way to set up a
printing and printer now?  The printing howto, in a
brief section on Debian, suggests apsfilter and CUPS.
I  just used apsfilterconfig to set up the printer and
it printed a test page successfully, but I want to
have a graphical interface such as CUPS provides.  I
installed cups (libcupsys2-dev and libcupsys2) but
have not been able to find out how to set it up or
start the configuration.  First of all, should I try
to remove the  configuration done with apsfilter -
does CUPS do that part or would it build on what
apsfilter has done?

I am running Woody with the 2.4.18 kernel on a Fujitsu
Lifebook P-2040 using a direct USB connection to the
printer.  The printer is an Epson Stylus color C60.

Thanks in advance for any advice or explanation.

Steve