Rage Mobility and DRI

I have a laptop (thinkpad a22m) with a rage mobility card. Depending on where
i look (lspci, proc etc) it is reported as either a Rage Mobility LF, or a
Rage Mobility P/M.

I have x working nicely (very smooth dvd playback etc) but i cant get DRI to
work at all (using 2.4.18 kernel with many drm compiled in, and the r128
module compiled seperately). On site from linux laptops recomends using the
r128 driver instead of the ati driver, however that doesnt work, my X server
simply will not start (no screens found error).

I have read the documentation at dri.sourceforge.net, the 3 pages referenced
by linux laptops for this model, and anything else i could find. I have tried
xfree86 4.1 from sid, and the 4.2 packages from people.debian.org/~branden
(or similar, forget exactly). I have also read that my card may in fact have
a Mach64 chipset, and not a rage 128, but the only driver i can find for the
mach64 is the ati one anyway. I have also tried the drivers from the gatos
project with no luck. I have been told that this card actually has no 3d
hardware, but everything i read says that DRI should work. glxinfo always
reports dri as off, no matter what i try.

I really hope one of you guys can help me, im all out of ideas.

Thanks,

Tom
--
Email: tb100@doc.ic.ac.uk || Jabber: tombadran@jabber.com