Re: runlevel 3 for a console login?

>>>>> "Gale" == Gale Stafford <gstafford@bitwiser.com> writes:

Gale> Hi All, I want debian to boot up and give me a command-line login
Gale> instead of the GUI login screen.

The GUI login is provided by xdm/gdm/kdm/wdm/etc.  Most likely one of
the first three.  Do an "ls /etc/rc5.d" and you should see a symlink
called S99xdm or something like that.  That instructs the system to run
that script when switching to runlevel 5.  The order that scripts are
executed in is specified by the number after the S.  It is sufficient to
just blow away the S99?dm links from /etc/rc?.d, but the "proper" way to
do things is to use the update-rc.d script.  Something like "update-rc.d
-f xdm remove" should completely remove it from every runlevel.

Or you could just "apt-get remove xdm" if you don't want it on your
system at all.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA