problem configuring X resolution

Are there ways to configure the screen resolution besides editing the XF86Config file? KDE is starting up just fine now on my thinkpad, but I'm stuck at this tiny 640X480 resolution. I've set up my XF86Config file with DefaultDepth 16, and listed 800X600 as one of the modes for that depth. But KDE seems to be bypassing my XF86Config settings. I looked around in KDE for an option to change the resolution but can't find any.

any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Gale