Re: insmod lt_serial, lt_modem on Acer Extensa 501 Dx

From: "Olivier Crouzet" <olivier.crouzet@free.fr>

> I am trying to get my lt winmodem work under linux. I have compiled my own
> I have configured isapnp.conf according to both pnpdump output and MS
> Windows information (IRQ = 3 base IO = 0x02e8 and 0x0100) and the sound
> card works well following a similar procedure.

I'm not at all sure what this has to do with anything.  Are you sure you
need isapnp?  My LT modem is a mini-pci.

> I have left 8.22a3 because when I try to compile it, I am told that my
> headers are not matched with my running kernel (thought I know it is false
> because I did them (the kernel image and the headers) myself with
> make-kpkg).

As Sherlock Holmes said "eliminate the impossible". :-)  Since you know that
you DO have the right headers - and I trust you - you can pretty much
guarantee that the LT compile isn't looking at the right ones.  I recall
having a similar problem.

First, I'm pretty sure you don't need "build_module".  "build_deb" alone is
sufficient.

Second, check the output from build_deb immediately before you're told that
your headers are wrong.  It tells you exactly where it checked for headers
Now, if you actually have /usr/src/kernel-headers-VERSION, you can use
"./build_deb VERSION", otherwise symlink any of those directory names that
weren't found to your headers directory and it should compile.

I think the author made some invalid assumptions about where headers would
exist, because after installing kernel-source-2.4.18 my kernel headers
weren't where ltmodem could use them, but:
  ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18 /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
fixed everything.

derek