Re: E-Tech 56K6 PCMCIA modem

On Fri, 31 May 2002 03:51:46 -0700 (PDT)
Roman Stepanyan <rstepanyan@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Problems start when I try to dial a number. I use minicom for this (not
> > > trying to configure PPP, just to dial ANYTHING!). So, the modem replies
> > > to AT commands (at least minicom shows "OK" when I type AT<Enter> in the
> > > term window), but
> > >
> > > 1. In the status line of the minicom I see "OFFLINE"
> > > 2. I cannot dial any number
> > >
> > > The problem is also  that I do not here any tone (phone-tone, I mean) -
> > > but this seems to be "a feature" - I do not here it under Windows
> > > either, although modem works and dials without any troubles.
> >
> > Try to play with AT X command. Might help.
>
> What does it do?

For USR modems it may be used to ignore dial tone absense. For your modem maybe too.
Check the documentation.

> > And there might be problem with minicom itself.
> > What exact error messages do you read at the minicom terminal?
>
> That's the problem - it does NOT issue any error messages. It says OFFLINE in
> the status bar, and when I try to dial any number, it just tries without any
> success. That's it. No messages whatsoever.

You mean, your modem session is as follows?
at
OK
atdp 12345
<silence>

Check minicom settings, maybe it tries to use wrong modem device (/dev/ttyS0 for ex.,
or even /dev/cua).

You can also try to send commands directly to the modem:
echo "atdp 12345" >/dev/modem

Though, I don't know if it'll help because you cannot hear tones. By the way,
can you turn tones on? Try AT L and/or M command for this.

And one more advice: you can try to fetch the correct init string for your modem
from Windows settings (check modem's .inf file or suchsome).