Re: Which Desktop replacement.

From: "Rob Hensley" <zoid@zoid.staticky.com>

> I recommend the Dell Inspiron 8200's. I own a 8100, and it is perfect for
> what I need, and what you asked for. The only problem is...are you looking
> for something small and thin with a 15" lcd? if so, then you don't want
> Dell :) Dell's are known for there some what "luggable" laptops. As far as
> configuration options go...just play around on Dell's website, you can
> configure pretty much anything. Good luck, hope this helped!

Nice machines, but way overpowered for the typical 'desktop replacement'. My
Inspiron 2500 runs Debian and a ton of other stuff that your typical desktop
doesn't really need and still came in at around US$1200. In hindsight, I
should probably have got the integrated network adapter - but I've no
guarantee that it would work, whereas I knew that the old 10Mbps PCMCIA card
I had would.  ACPI is still a disappointment on the 2500, though.

derek