Re: X acceleration on a S3 savage IX/MV

On 19 May 2002 09:57:08 -0700
Alex Bernson <kagemusha@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> 	I have a Toshiba satellite 2800-s201 laptop with sid on it.  Everything
> works fine except for acceleration on X. I'm using XFree86 4.1 with the
> savage driver, and everything works fine, except when I try to play 3d
> games such as tux racer.  Tux Racer runs incredibly slow, somewhere
> around 1 frame per second.  Is there anything I can do, or am I just
> going to have to live with no games?
>

> --

Hi,
I have a SONY Vaio with the same chip. Look at Tim's site:

www.probo.com/timr/

I think that the support might be better in X4.2 but Branden hasn't gotten around to that yet for Debian. I don't know if Tim's driver for X4.2 is different for IX/MV than the one that is in X4.2 (which is one of Tim's). I need to be able to use apt-get and just installing X4.2 will work fine except that the first time you try to update apt-get will stomp on your X4.2 install if it is in /usr/X11R6. Also there are lots of dependencies for your installed Debian aps that won't be met. I asked Branden Robinson about what I could do to fix it and his answer was that he just followed Debian and seldom put any non-deb software in his system. He said that he only put that in /usr/local. I haven't time to figure out how to run XFree from /usr/local and I don't know if acceleration is possible on the IX/MV under GNU/Linux anyway. I can't run openCASCADE, or any of the 3d modeling aps on my laptop. I don't do games so that's not a problem for me.

If you have any luck getting accelerated, please let me know.

Good luck,

Craig