Desktops and Office Suites

I'm sure this question must have been asked a thousand times but I have
searched the web and been unable to find an answer. So here goes:

I've installed Debian 'Potato' on my Toshiba Laptop (Pentium 75, 24Mb RAM,
Colour DualScan LCD panel) and all seems to be singing in console mode. I've
configured XFree86 with Sawmill and Gnome and it all works except that my
monitor can only display 640x480. The resulting problems are:
1.    Windows being opened up that are bigger than the screen area meaning I
often can't get to the 'OK' or 'Cancel' buttons. I want to tell all the apps
that the creen only supports 640x480 so that it can work properly.
2.    Icons, menus etc. are all too big leaving me with very little workable
area.

Can anyone help with the following:
1.    Where do I go to sort out these config issues?
2.    Is Sawmill/Gnome the best GUI? I think KDE would be too slow
3.    Is there any good office software that would run OK? I wanted to use
OpenOffice but that seems to need a minimum of 800x600 resolution. Abiword
seems to run but there is very little screen are left with all the menus,
toolbars and status panels.

Thanks,

        Mark