Kernel PCMCIA/CardBus on a Tecra 8200

I'm trying to get kernel PCMCIA/CardBus support under 2.4.18 working
on my Toshiba Tecra 8200 (with the ToPIC100 bridge, I think, though
there's some confusion about that).

All of my attempts have failed. After rebooting with the kernel
(either compiling kernel PCMCIA/CardBus into the kernel or loading it
as modules), I get random jibberish from 'cardctl ident' and no
devices are recognized. (My ultimate goal is to get IEEE 1394 working,
but let's set that aside for the moment as I've clearly got deeper
problems right now).

I'm mostly looking for clues and suggestions. The really odd thing is
that Jonathan Buzzard has it working successfully on his Tecra 8200,
so I'm lead to believe that it can be done. Even odder than that, if I
boot his kernel with his modules on my 8200, I get exactly the same
errors.

I've gone so far as to reinstall Win2k on a partition so that I could
plug the card in and make sure it wasn't some sort of bridge hardware
problem. Win2k had no trouble recognizing the card, so I think it's
down to a software problem.

Hints, suggestions, clues, wacks on the side of the head, all most
appreciated.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--