Re: crash and acpid

On Fri, 10 May 2002 18:44, Alessandro Speranza wrote:
> Some days ago, some of you sugested that I installed acpid on my presario
> 700. I did, and yesterday I was trying to use, but I didn't quite
> manage. I think I have to tell linux which one is the power button, in
> order for acpid to process the script and power off, just pressing it. In
> fact I wouldn't normally need it, but my computer has crashed lately a
> couple of times (or better it froze, I don't know if it crashed, because I
> couldn do anything with it) with just xscreensaver on. Two questions then:

If what you want is a way to recover your machine when an invasive program
like an X server hangs then the Secure Attention Keypress may be a better
solution.

I have the following in my init scripts:
echo "control alt keycode 107 = SAK " | loadkeys

That makes CTRL-ALT-END be the SAK key-press.  Pressing it tells the kernel
to send signal 9 to every process on the current virtual console.  It works
well for me when I have X crash (which hasn't happened in 4.1.x as far as I
recall).