Re: Can I use Debian for...

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking of switching to Debian.  I have a few questions.

I have an IBM T21 Thinkpad, with the UltraCam II camera, Windows 2000,
and a cable modem.  I use the UltraCam to video conference with my
family and friends via Netmeeting now.  I also stay in touch with
friends with MS Messenger.  My friends are not Linux users, and won't
become Linux users soon, so that's out.

Cool. One note: with the T21, make sure you get a recent potato (or woody) boot-floppies, I think 2.2R3 had a problem recognizing the NIC.

Isn't GnomeMeeting H.323, and thus compatible with NetMeeting? Can't help you with MS Messenger though...

Can anyone verify that I can do these things in Debian, and which
distribution I will need to use?  These are the last barriers keeping me
from switching to booting Linux first choice.

By "which distribution", I assume you mean "which version", and woody is the safe bet there.

P.S. Next time please start a new thread, rather than replying to an existing message; as it is, your thread is obscured as a sub-thread to "WLAN-Card..." in many mailers.

Cheers,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>