Re: Static noise in ASUS laptop

----- Forwarded message from Johannes Berg <johannes-news@sipsolutions.de> -----

Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 16:39:00 +0200
From: "Johannes Berg" <johannes-news@sipsolutions.de>
To: Rafael Laboissiere <laboissiere@mpipf-muenchen.mpg.de>
Subject: Re: Static noise in ASUS laptop

Hey,

I've got the same problem, ASUS L8400Ce.
As much as I've found out the real problem is not any static noise coming
from the speakers, but (at least on my model) its coming from the
processor. Apparently when issuing a hlt() instruction the processor does
a tick, and if you move the mouse it wakes up for the interrupt and goes
to sleep again right away. You can fairly easy test this by passing an
option to the kernel to tell it not to use the hlt() instruction, but
then the fan is always on and it uses a lot of battery on because it
doesn't idle.
Anyway, I haven't found any solution for this :(

(Oh please, could you post this to the mailing list? I read it through a
newsgroups interface only (too much traffic else), and can't post)

johannes

On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:00:16 +0100, Rafael Laboissiere found a keyboard
and hacked in:

----- End forwarded message -----